Home » Archived stories » Tanunda stage unsafe

Tanunda stage unsafe

Tanunda stage unsafe

A temporary stage will be erected at the Tanunda Show Hall to ensure next month’s MelodieNacht goes ahead after safety concerns forced The Barossa Council to cordon off the current stage immediately.

They will spend a maximum of $3,500 for an interim stage and a future report, detailing the proposal for and costs of the long term replacement solution will be presented to elected members by June.

Council indicated it is too early to predict a cost of a new stage, but said it would meet current Australian building standards including engineering, safety and access.

Barossa elected members were told at last week’s meeting of the stage’s potential risk to community safety after officers deemed its current form as unacceptable.

The Leader understands the removal of a side wing during the Tanunda Show revealed the structural concerns, with Council chief executive officer, Mr Martin McCarthy adding there were issues with its cross bracing and general stability.

“We were able to see under the stage and noticed issues with its cross bracing and general stability, hence why we undertook the actions we have including having an independent engineer assess the structure,” said Mr McCarthy.

For the full story, grab April 24 edition of The Leader.