Home » Archived stories » Spirit spoiled

Spirit spoiled

Spirit spoiled

Arsonists who set a scarecrow alight on an Angaston property have put the Barossa Vintage Festival tradition at risk.

Stockwell Road residents, Megan and Luke Samain were woken up by police and CFS, who were called to extinguish the burning scarecrow at 5 a.m. on Friday.

The couple warned if their property, “Windy Hill” had lived up to its name, the damage to their 60-acre dry grass property could have been devastating.

“We were just lucky it was a calm morning,” Megan said.

“If it was windy like it usually is up here, the fire could have spread and it would have been a lot worse.”

As it is still fire danger season, Crime Scene Investigators attended the scene and it is believed newspaper from the pair’s recycling bin was used to start the fire.

After building a scarecrow two years ago, Megan and Luke were encouraged to enter an extended version of their design in this year’s competition.

For the full story, grab March 27 edition of The Leader.